Every week we spotlight a great dad within one of our Fathering Together Communities to share some of their experiences with you!
Sal Ocon is from Costa Rica where he is a full time actor and businessman. He’s got an amazing daughter and son as you’ll see!
1) What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
I cried with joy… i always wanted to be a dad!
When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
My dad… i have 6 sisters… i needed to know if it was “hard”. Although my mom was very important in calming my nerves, it was my dad who gave me peace of mind
2) How would your kids describe you as a dad
She said: my dad is crazy, he is fun, caring, teaches me about God, likes to be with the family and really loves mommy and us
What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
Going though sickness… it breaks me down.
3) Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
I would have maybe spent less time working when they were younger, but those days got us where we are today. So everything happens for a reason.
What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
Makeup, water wars, Paint, draw, playgrounds, she loves the beach so we travel as much as we can
4) What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
Enjoy the small things, it fills their hearts
How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
I include my children in most activities. Find friends with children so we can all hang out together and have a blast
5) What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
The day they where born. And the first time she said: you’re the best daddy in the world…