Donovan Webb works as a Child Protection Worker (Family Engagement Meeting Facilitator). He lives in Aurora, Colorado where he is raising his daughter. Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Donovan and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- Shock and fear as the Covid19 Pandemic had just shut the world down. Also excitement to know I was going to be a father.
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- I did not know until she was born as we decided to keep it a surprise. When I did find out, I was lost and then talked with my best friend who is also a father to a daughter.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- Well my daughter is 3 months old, so I am not sure she would have much to say. If she did, I hope she would say I am fun, caring, and makes her smile.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- I would say feeling isolated during the pandemic, and like I didn’t have support with no family living near us. Also not taking my daughter’s screaming and crying personally. I am a fixer, and sometimes there isn’t anything to fix. just have to go with the flow.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- Looking back on the short time, I would want the world to not be shut down. Then we could have had friends over more and family to come into town and help and offer support.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- Floor time on her mat, dance parties, and watching The Price is Right…
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Never be afraid to reach out for help and support. Though men are supposed to just figure things out, it really does take a village to raise children. I am just happy to have found this village of dads who have a wealth of knowledge and experience in fathering daughters.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- I think this has been the tough part. I feel like having support from my partner and my employers have been very helpful. I also think finding ways to still do what makes you happy as well is needed.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Well I haven’t had many due to her age, but just watching her grow and develop. She is now cooing and using her vocal cords which is a plus and minus at the same time. Also just know that in the next 9 months to her first birthday, all the firsts we will get to experience.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.