Alfredo Mestre works as a driver/laborer in New Holland, Pennsylvania where he is raising his two daughters. Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Alfredo and his children!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- Happiest day of my life.
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- I was lost at first. Didn’t have anyone to talk to about it. But I asked myself what didn’t happen them to go through in life what I went through.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- I have to daughter’s. 2 1/2 and a 9 1/2. I last saw my oldest when she was 2 months old. That broke me at first but I’ve used that to motivate me each day to be a better father to my youngest.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Controlling my impulse to go back to my old ways.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- Letting my stupidity get the best of me and allowing it to cost me my oldest.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- Literally anything and everything to enjoy my time with her. She is my motivation to succeed in this life.
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Be patient with yourself and them. I think about what I went through in life and what my childhood was like. And the man I use to be. I don’t want any of that for them. For no child period.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- Ask me that in 20 yrs. from now and I’d be better to answer that question. It’s a work in progress as we speak. But I’d say this its not easy. I just know that I dont want to lose my daughter again. So I use that to keep let focused on what important in life.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- When I first heard my daughter say daddy. Talk about being happy, scared shitless, and realizing that I was a father again.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.